The laser treatment of leg veins continues to gain momentum with advances in laser, pulsed light, and combined radiofrequency pulse light technologies. Other advances include enhancement of longer wavelength treatment systems, improved cooling technologies, varied spot size, pulse durations, and fluence-related monomodal approaches and combined lasers/radiofrequency systems. The continued development of laser technologies not only enhances the phlebologist's armamentarium in the treatment and management of telangiectasias and reticular veins, but also provides the patient with an array of safe, noninvasive treatment options with minimal side effects or complications.
1. Kauvar A. The role of lasers in the treatment of leg veins, Sem Surg Cutan Med. 2000. 19: 245-252.
2. Lupton J, Alster T, Romero P. Clinical comparison of sclerotherapy versus long-pulsed Nd:YAG laser treatment for lower extremity telangiectasias, Dermatol Surg. 2002. 28: 694-697.
3. Fournier N, Brisot P, Murdon S. Treatment of leg telangiectasias with a 532 nm KTP laser in multi-pulse model, Dermatol Surg. 2002. 28: 564-571.
4. Passeron T, Ollivier V et al. The new 940 nanometer diode laser. An effective treatment for leg venulectasia, J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003. 48: 768-774.
5. Sonden A, Svensson B, Roman N, Ostmark H, Bismar B. Laser induced shock wave endothelial cell injury, Los Surg Med. 2002. 6: 364-375.
6. Dover J, Sadick N, Goldman M. The role of lasers and light sources in the treatment of leg veins, Dermatol Surg. 1999. 25: 328336.
7. Sadick N. Updated approaches to the management of cosmetic leg veins, Phlebol. 2003. 18: 53-54.
8. Goldman M. Treatment of leg veins with lasers and intense pulse light, Dermatol Clin. 2001. 19: 467-473.
9. Sadick N. A dual wavelength approach for laser/intense pulsed light source treatment of lower extremity veins, J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002. 46: 66-72.
10. Sadick N, Weiss R. The utilization of a new yellow light laser (578 nm) for the treatment of Class I red telangiectasia of the lower extremities, Dermatol Surg. 2002. 28: 21-25.
11. Adrian R. Treatment of leg telangiectasias using a long-pulse frequency-doubled neodymium: YAG laser at 532 nm, Dermatol Surg. 1998. 24: 19-23.
12. Goldman M, Fitzpatrick R. Pulsed-dye laser treatment of leg telangi-ectasia: With and without simultaneous sclerotherapy, J Dermatol Surg. 1990. 16: 338-344.
13. Eremias L, Umars H. A side-by-side comparative study of 1064 nm Nd: YAG, 310 nm diode and 755 nm alexandrite lasers for treatment of 0.3-3.0 mm leg veins, Dermatol Surg. 2002. 28: 224-230.
14. Garden J, Bakus A, Miller I. Diode laser treatment of leg veins, Laser Surg Med. 1998. 10 (suppl): 38.
15. Kaudewitz P, Klorekorn W, Rother W. Treatment of leg vein telangi-ectasias. 1-year result with a new 940 nm diode laser, Dermatol. 2002. 28: 1031-1034.
16. Weiss R, Dover J. Laser surgery of leg veins, Dermatol Clin. 2002. 20: 19-36.
17. Sadick N. Long-term results with a multiple synchronized pulse 1064 nm Nd:YAG laser for the treatment of leg venulectasias and reticular veins, Dermatol Surg. 2001. 27: 365-369.
18. Schroeter C, Wilder D, Reineke T, Thurlimann W, Raulin C et al. Clinical significance of an intense, pulsed light source on leg telangi-ectasias of up to 1 mm diameter, Eur J Dermatol. 1997. 7: 38-42.
19. Green D. Photothermal removal of telangiectases of the lower extremities with the Photoderm VL, J Am Acad Dermatol. 1998. 38: 61-68.
20. Sadick N. Laser treatment with a 1064 nm laser for lower extremity class I—III veins employing variable spots and pulse width parameters, Dermatol Surg. 2003. 29: 916-919.
21. Sadick N, Weiss R, Goldman M. Advances in laser surgery for leg veins: Bimodal wavelength approach to lower extremity vessels, new cooling techniques and longer pulse durations, Dermatol Surg. 2002. 28: 16-20.
Was this article helpful?
Rosacea and Eczema are two skin conditions that are fairly commonly found throughout the world. Each of them is characterized by different features, and can be both discomfiting as well as result in undesirable appearance features. In a nutshell, theyre problems that many would want to deal with.