Even if the physician is open to all available techniques, his personal preferences influence his management of varicose disease even before the assessment of varicose patterns. Satisfaction of the patients' main concern should be his motto, and Sclerofoam will appear most of the time as the most "patient-friendly" method. In any case, carrying out such a treatment requires skill and preliminary learning and training.
Progress in Sclerofoam technique is likely to revolutionize the management of varicose disease. We have always advocated an à la carte treatment of varicose veins and it is now obvious that what we did surgically several years ago can be done with Sclerofoam injections. Active, simple, cheap, and safe, ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy with foam is the future of varicose treatments.
1. Wollmann JC. The history of sclerosing foams, Dermatol Surg. 2004. 30: 694-703.
2. Cabrera J, Cabrera Garcia Olmedo JR. Nuevo método de esclerosis en las varices tronculares, Patol Vasc. 1995. 4: 55-73.
3. Monfreux A. Traitement sclérosant des troncs saphéniens et leurs collatérales de gros calibre par la méthode MUS, Phlébologie. 1997. 50: 351-353.
4. Knottnerus A, Dinant GJ. Medicine based evidence, a prerequisite for evidence based medicine, BMJ. 1997. 315: 1109-1110.
5. Guex J-J. Foam sclerotherapy: An overview of use for primary venous insufficiency, Semin Vasc Surg. 2005. 18: 25-29.
6. Guex J-J. Indications for the sclerosing agent Polidocanol®, J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1993. 19: 959-961.
7. Goldman MP, Bergan JJ, Guex JJ. Sclerotherapy, treatment of varicose and telangiectatic leg veins, 4e. New York; Elsevier. In press.
8. Tessari L. Nouvelle technique d'obtention de la scléro-mousse, Phle-bology. 2000. 53: 129.
9. Pittaluga P, Rea B, Barbe R. Méthode ASVAL (ablation sélective des varices sous anesthésie locale): Principes et résultats intermédiaires, Phlébologie. 2005 58: 175-181.
10. Barrett JM, Allen B, Ockelford A, Goldman MP. Microfoam ultrasound guided sclerotherapy treatment for varicose veins in a subgroup with diameters at the junction of 10 mm or greater compared with a subgroup of less than 10 mm, Dermatol surg. 2004. 30: 1386-1390.
11. Yamaki T, Nozaki M, Iwasaka S. Comparative study of duplex guided foam sclerotherapy and duplex guided liquid sclerotherapy for the treatment of superficial venous insufficiency, Dermatol Surg. 2004. 30: 718-722.
12. Hamel-Desnos C, Desnos P, Wollmann JC, Ouvry P, Mako S, Allaert FA. Evaluation of the efficacy of polidocanol in the form of foam compared with liquid form in sclerotherapy of the great saphenous vein: Initial results, Dermatol Surg. 2003. 29: 1170-1175, discussion 1175.
13. Barrett JM, Allen B, Ockelford A, Goldman MP. Microfoam ultrasound guided sclerotherapy of varicose veins in 100 legs, Dermatol Surg. 2004. 30: 6-12.
14. Guex J-J, Isaacs MN. Comparison of surgery and ultrasound guided sclerotherapy for treatment of saphenous varicose veins: Must the criteria for assessment be the same? Int Angiol. 2000. 19(4): 299-302.
15. Breu FX, Guggenbichler S. European consensus meeting on foam sclerotherapy, Dermatol Surg. 2004. 30: 709-717.
16. Guex J-J, Allaert F-A, Gillet J-L, Chleir F. Immediate and mid-term complications of sclerotherapy report of a prospective multi-center registry of 12,173 sclerotherapy sessions, J Dermatol Surg. 2005. 31: 123-128.
17. Guex J-J. Ultrasound guided sclerotherapy for perforating veins, Hawaii Medical Journal. 2000. 59(6): 261.
18. Danielsson, G, Eklof B, Kistner RL. What is the role of incompetent perforator veins in chronic venous insufficiency, J Phleb. 2001. 1: 67-71.
19. Bergan JJ, Pascarella L. Severe CVI: Primary treatment with sclero-foam, Semin Vasc Surg. 2005. 18: 49-56.
20. Perrin MR, Guex JJ et al. Recurrent varices after surgery (REVAS), a consensus document, Cardiovasc Surg. 2000. 8: 233-245.
This page intentionally left blank
Was this article helpful?
This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.