• The slit lamp exam is key in determining candidacy for contact lenses.
• Regular fluorescein dye will stain soft contact lenses!
• A lens that is placed on the eye in the office should be allowed at least 30 minutes to equilibrate.
• The slit lamp exam is used to differentiate between blurred vision caused by the contact lens vs. that caused by corneal compromise.
• The contact lens patient must be examined with the lenses both on and off.
Some slit lamps have a lens holder attachment for evaluation of soft or rigid lenses. This makes it possible to evaluate the lens surface without the interference of secretions, blinks, and tears.
Was this article helpful?